1851-Guy H. Cotrell and Harvey Mellon, as part of a contract with the Survey General, arrived in Iron County. Mellon observed outcroppings of iron ore along the Iron River, then known as the Maple River.
1873-J.C. Morse made entry and obtained title to ore bearing lands along the Iron River.
1875-John Armstrong discovered ore near Crystal Falls.
1878-Richard Selden and son William made explorations into Iron County and later became founders of Stambaugh. D.C. MacKinnon and brother Alexander explored deeper into the area and became founders of Iron River. They were later joined by another brother Archie.
1880-Ore explorations by Dr. D.M. Bond and D.C. MacKinnon in Crystal Falls. Operation of the Crystal Falls Mine begun by S.D. Hollister, Sr. and George Runkle.
1881-The Seldens associated with Louis Stegmiller and L.D. Cyr developed the Iron River Mine located in Stambaugh.
1881-The town of Crystal Falls was formed, but was not incorporated.
1881-The village of Iron River was platted by the MacKinnon brothers.
1882-The Chicago Northwestern Railway completed lines to Crystal Falls and also Iron River.
1882-The MacKinnon Brothers developed the Nanaimo and Beta mines in Iron River.
1885-The County of Iron was established upon its separation from Ely township, Marquette County.
1885-7-The Iron River Furnace Co. was established to smelt ore and produce iron pigs.
1887-The county seat of Iron County was removed from Iron River to Crystal Falls when county records were taken surreptitiously. this incident became known as "The Stealing of the Courthouse."
1887-The Metropolitan Lumber Company purchased timberlands and in the following 3 or 4 years the village of Atkinson developed. It became the official seat of Atkinson township which exsisted only from 1892-1906.
1888-Iron ore discovered in Hemlock, later named Amasa, by Mathew Gibson and son Thoburn.
1889-Crystal Falls incorporated.
1889-The Homestead Dispute. Lands settled by pioneers had previously been granted to the Lake Superior Ship Canal, Railway & Iron Company to build a canal across the Keweenaw. Homesteaders fought to maintain their rights to the land. a series of court cases evolved, the last one settled in 1916.
1890-New courthouse built in Crystal Falls following vote of 1888.
1891-The first Iron County fair was held.
1893-The Mansfield Mine Disaster. 27 miners killed when the Michigamme River poured into the shaft below.
1895-Dr. Bond died of injuries from a fall on the sidewalk in Iron River. He was the husband of world famous parlor song composer Carrie Jacobs-Bond whose best known is "I Love You Truly."
1896-Saw mill constructed at Lake Velguth, now Indian Lake. Moved two and one-half miles south to become village of Pentoga.
1900-End of the Great Pine Era.
1912-Iron County was the appointment of R.G. Hoopingarner as Iron County Agricultural Agent--the first in the Upper Peninsula and one of 12 in the entire state of Michigan.
1913-A street railway franchise was granted to the Iron river and Crystal Falls Street Railway Company to establish transportation between Iron River, Stambaugh, Caspian, and Gaastra.
1914-The Nevada Mine Company began mining in the area in which they also developed the village of Alpha.
1919-The first roadside park was established by the county board and installed the Michigan's first picnic table.
1920-The Iron River "Rum Rebellion" February 20. Federal officers raided a home in Virgil Location, part of Iron River, without search warrant. A confrontation resulted between local law enforcement officers and Federal officers which attracted national attention and resulted in nearly 300 of illegal seizure being thrown out of court.
1922-County dedicated park at Chicagoan Lake in recognition of Ojibwa Indian Village and burial ground.